While watching the second video of the Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence online course, I came across an interesting exercise that can be done during a training workshop about leadership or about relationships at work. The exercise simply goes something like this:
- Sit comfortably, relax, your back straight and your hands on your knees.
- Close your eyes.
- Think of an annoying person whom you have dealt with and an annoying and stressful situation that took place with such person.
- What emotions do you feel?
- What bodily sensations, if any, do you feel in your body and where?
- Now think of a 3-year old child or a pet, you are playing with that child and hugging the child.
- Now what emotions do you feel?
- What bodily sensations do you feel in your body and where?
- Reflect on your emotional and bodily sensations and write them down.
Participants in the workshop can then share their sensations with one another. Trainer may also reflect on the activity and summarize or add up common sensations that commonly take place during each part of that exercise including both emotional and physical (bodily) ones.